Monday, March 26, 2012

Planet Comicon 2012 re-cap



Just getting home from Planet Comicon. What a rush! The place was PACKED full of awesomeness. When I say packed... I mean packed!


We arrived at the show a little later than normal. Doors opened at 10 and usually I'm there by 8 helping set up and getting ready for the show. This year, we ran behind and came in about 11:30. I thought, not a big deal. In years past, the main crowd would be in and we could walk right in. Not the case this year. At 11:30, there was still a line severial hundred deep waiting to get tickets and get in. Thank goodness, said line didnt apply to people who pre-reg so we got to walk right past all those people and get in. R2-TD didnt make the trip this year and I'm kinda glad he didnt . It was wall to wall people. I started the show by working our way to the autograph area. Once there I got a few Jake Llyod and Adrienne Wilkinson autographs for a few friends.



Than we jumped on over to the Billy Dee Williams line which had just started to form. We were maybe 30 people back from the front and were told he would be signing from 1:30 to 4 pm. The time, Noon. So wait we do. Finally, Billy Dee comes in at 1pm. he does a photo op first and started signing about 1:15.


After, we met Billy Dee, we left for a bit for Lunch. We took our time and enjoyed the 82 degree weather unheard of for Kansas in March. We than went back to find a much less crowded show. It was still hopping, by you could actually move now. I took the opportunity to shop and catch some costumes.





Overall, the show was great. I thought it was well run and the staff did a great job getting lines to move and making sure people knew where to go. The show utilized its space much better this year than in years past. I wouldn't be surprised if they move to a bigger venue next year. I had heard the attendance double to tripled last year judging by the parking lot. In fact, The biggest thing that sucked was parking. You had to walk, most likely around the building to get in.

While writing this, this popped up in my timeline on Facebook. The video isnt mine but it shows the convention much better than I explain. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment